--- "DO IT YOURSELF" ENTRY ------- PURPOSE: The “Cutting Edge” Communication Board Display is a handy way to store and/or use communication symbols. It is designed for use by individuals with communication disabilities.
MATERIALS USED: Tempo loop (you want to consider visiting vehicle reupholster places and asking for scraps), cutting board (keep an eye out at dollar stores for cheap cutting boards with handles), spray adhesive, surface protector (i.e., place board in bottom of a cardboard box before spraying adhesive.)
1. Remove the plastic from the cutting board.
2. Lay your piece of tempo loop soft side down on your work surface. Lay it horizontally.
3. Set your cutting board on top of the tempo loop. The handle of the cutting board should stick up above the top of the tempo loop. There should also be approximately ½ or 1 inch of tempo loop sticking out on one side.
4. Spray a thin line of adhesive along the side of the cutting board. (The side where the 1 inch overhang of tempo loop is.)
5. Fold over the small strip inch of “overhang tempo loop” onto the adhesive strip. Now smooth it down.
6. Turn the board over (The side that has the small strip of tempo loop attached should be face down.) and spray a thin, even coat of adhesive on the cutting board.
7. Fold the tempo loop over and smooth it down over the adhesive. The extra will be hanging to the side.
8. Turn the board over once again. Now you’re back to the side with the skinny strip of tempo loop already glued to it. Spray that board down again with adhesive.
9. Fold the remaining tempo loop over and smooth it down over the adhesive.
10. Trim off any extra tempo loop that is hanging over the edge.
11. Also trim off any tempo loop hanging over the bottom of the board.
12. You are on the “Cutting Edge”!!! You now have a lovely, Velcro display for your communication symbols and pictures!
Author: Oklahoma Assistive Technology Center